I admit, I don’t know a lot about the night elves, so I’m not really going to try to go too in-depth into a topic – at least not right off the bat. There’s too many things that I don’t know much about to risk making a fool of myself by rambling about them. But, here’s a few things we could consider.
- According to the World of Warcraft Roleplaying Game, Night Elves can speak some Orcish. As they worked with orcs to halt the Burning Legion (in and of itself an interesting plot point to make reference to, if your character would remember such things), they retain some knowledge of their language for ‘tactical reasons’. While you can’t actually learn Orcish in game as a Night Elf, this tidbit might be useful for roleplay purposes, even if you can’t codely do it.
- With the Sisters of Elune holding the most power in government, but Archdruid Staghelm thinking of himself as a much more competent leader, a silent power struggle rages in night elf politics. What side of this is your night elf on?
- We all know about Elune, but who else do the night elves worship? Well, Elune is the moon goddess and is at the top of the list, but there’s also Malorne the Waywatcher. On this note, Cenarius’s children are venerated by the night elves – who is the focus of your night elf’s worship/spiritual focus?
- Speaking of which, how do elves swear? Do they blaspheme in the name of Elune, or Malorne, or Cenarius, or do they exclaim words related to their passions in life, like, “Pollution!” or “Faithless killing machines!”? Alright, so that’s a bit of a silly point. It’s still valid!
- What kind of cultural norms are there about clothing? Certainly, you wear armour into battle to protect yourself (although I wouldn’t put it past someone to make a callback to the Celts and charge in naked to scare the enemy), but do they have the same modesty rules as Stormwind Humans?
Just a few thoughts, mostly about culture, to get the creative juices flowing. What do you think about the elves?